The Tennessee Children’s Home Campus in Knoxville initially got its start as the East Tennessee Christian Services in 1979. The desire of several individuals saw a need to provide services for children in the eastern part of the state. In 1987, the construction of a home began on property that was acquired from Hillbrook Christian Association. In 1988, the home opened its doors; it could accommodate up to 8 youth and was named Cherrybrook.
When Tennessee Children’s Home merged with Happy Hills Youth Ranch (Ashland City) in 2000, it was unaware of the opportunities it would receive to continue to bless others. The displaced mothers’ program was started to meet the needs of single parents and their children. Over the years, hundreds of children and their families have been provided a safe place to live while their family transitioned from a tough time in their lives.
Tennessee Children’s Home was founded in 1909 in Maury County Tennessee as Tennessee Orphans Home. Spring Hill is currently home to our largest campus and also houses our statewide operations for administration, accounting, and development. The Spring Hill campus serves 32 at-risk males age 13 to 18 in a residential setting where they receive behavioral modification treatment using the Equip Program model. The Equip program is designed to teach youth to think and act responsibly through a peer help approach.
Tennessee Children’s Home Campus in Henderson, TN has been in operation for decades. Over the course of its existence, several services have been provided including counseling, foster care, adoption services, and respite care. There has always been a significant relationship between Tennessee Children’s Home and area churches. These relationships have made it possible to build and maintain our campus, having occupied it as Tennessee Children’s Home for about 25 years.